Sunday, June 28, 2009

fleas





About a 20-minute drive outside of Vilnius in a particular direction you will find the flea market.  It sounds like a fun shopping extravaganza, but I recommend bringing some hand sanitizer and prozac if you intend to check it out.  Also, leave the fanny pack at the hotel and duck tape your cash to your inner thigh.  I am told there are some pretty shifty pickpockets around here.

 'exit', or 'get me out of here'


Springfield?  No.

In the shadow of an active nuclear power plant with two looming smoke stacks you will find every worthless knock-off created the northern hemisphere.  You will find it all from faulty power tools to nameless bridal gowns and all of it won’t cost you but a few bucks.  There are dozens, maybe tens of dozens, of tents.  You can walk through the maze of spurious and cheap merchandise for hours and not have seen every stand.  And it is random – there will be jeans next to toys next to bras next to shoes next to house-wares, etc. 

 

The attendants are all Russian or Belarussian, for the most part.  I was informed of this, as I had originally thought they were gypsies.  It is hard to tell because most of these people are so thuggish and bitter looking that you can’t see them without the filter of fear distorting everything.  Yet people seem perfectly comfortable shopping here.  I am told this is where many locals go to extend their recession era paychecks a little further.  Maybe a little like Target?

premium pants wares for 'moteriu' (women) 


can use plastic bags as helmets, extra litas

There are food stands strewn about, but I didn’t try any of the fare.  It appeared to be mostly pastries and empanada-looking snacks.  The food carts were crowded and dirty and the people running them were not friendly.  But don’t live by my advice.  I can be a snob about these things.  I saw plenty of people walking around eating these treats and I assume they survived.  You can decide for yourself if you make it out there.

 

To be fair, this is definitely a smart place to pick up odds and ends that can cost a pretty penny in the city, such as shower curtains, beach towels with obscene illustrations on them, fake flowers, galoshes, dangerous childrens’ toys, loose women, etc.  While you can find probably millions of clothing items, none of them are worth the money.  Everything I saw looked cheaply made and out of style. 

 don't warry, be happy

When parking your car I recommend leaving it in the attended lot.  I am told all sorts of things can happen to an unattended vehicle and parking is a mere 5 litas.  That is something like $2 USD, and probably the best bargain at this flea market.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment